Monday, March 24, 2014

ABC's and...Embedded Picture Mnemonics!?

Hey everyone! I know you're probably thinking "embedded picture what?" Don't worry, we'll get to that in a second. So I was recently reading some articles for one of my classes and it got me excited because it confirmed something I was already doing with my kids - don't you love when that happens? For each letter of the alphabet, I always have my class create a craft out of the letter. Apparently there's a name for this...well I'm sure you've figured it out by now. Embedded picture mnemonics simply means we form a picture representing the letter-sound out of the letter itself. Research shows that embedded picture mnemonics help children learn letter-sound relationships more quickly than other methods. Fun, simple, AND scientifically proven! So when the principal walks in and asks why you're doing arts and crafts, you've got research to back you up! Hah!! You can download the articles HERE and HERE.

I don't have pictures of all of them, but here are some examples. And of course you can find many other ideas if you search the internet.


A for alligator, B for bumblebee, C for cat, D for dinosaur, G for gum (this one isn't really an embedded mnemonic), I for iguana, N for nest, O for octopus, P for penguin, Q for queen, R for rabbit, T for tiger, and V for vase of violets. 

My class also sings this song every day during morning meeting. I made a chart to go along with it and we use body movements to match each letter sound. The kids love it! I'm thinking I need to update my chart using these embedded mnemonics!

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Is there a book you use for your letter ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! I don't have a book...I usually just search google images for ideas! Try searching "alphabet crafts" or "letter B crafts" for example, and you should be able to find tons of them!

      Delete
  2. I do a an ABC book as a good bye gift each year for the parents. The embedded picture mnemonics (wink, wink) are based off of zoo phonics. But, yes....tons of ideas online. Thanks for the new term ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, thank you for sharing! Do you use this song daily? I'm so glad I found your site. Moving to k after 14 years in 4/5/6!

    ReplyDelete