Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ordinal Numbers & Eric Carle

You may have already realized this, but I love integrating literature and math! And Eric Carle's book, "10 Little Rubber Ducks" went along perfectly with a lesson on ordinal numbers.

After reading the story and discussing ordinal numbers, I handed out ducks on popsicle sticks that I labeled with ordinal numbers. The children had to line up and put themselves in order from 1st-10th. Then I called out different ordinal numbers and the class had to identify who was in that position.

Then we created our own class book, modeled after Eric Carle's story. Each child wrote and illustrated one page. I gave each student a duck with an ordinal number on it so they would know how to write their numbers. Click here for the template. It turned out pretty cute! Here are some samples:


11 comments:

  1. I love classroom books. Don't you agree they often become the classroom's favorites? Looks great!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! We did a Brown Bear, Brown Bear book using the kids' pictures, and that is our all time favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious idea! Thank you for sharing. :)
    Erica

    www.sprinklestokindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kohl's has several Eric Carle books featured for $5.00 right now along with the stuffed animals to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post!
    I am a new follower AND....
    I awarded you the Liebster Award on my blog! come check out all the details...
    Congrats!
    Miss S
    Just Teaching...Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to use this book for an observed lesson -however I obviously need to get the book first. Before I do, can anyone let me know how many pages the book is..and does it contain much writing?
    Does it go through each page saying the first duck saw... the second duck saw...and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks very much and congratulations for your helpful blog . I'm an English teacher. Actually I work in a primary public school in Spain with children from three to six years old. I have included some educational websites sites in my blog. They are a very good resource for my classes. http://espemoreno.blogspot.com.es/ El Blog de Espe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely idea to go with the Ordinal numbers! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this activity! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. บริการเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ปี 2022 เกมให้เลือกเล่นมากกว่า 1,000 เกม superslot 50 รับ 100 สล็อตเล่นผ่านเว็บ ก็ได้เช่นกัน สมัครเล่น SLOT สล็อตออนไลน์ superslot.li

    ReplyDelete